Phase 2: Archival Research
Phase 2, made possible as the recipient of the 2020 Fryer Library Fellowship at The University of Queensland, set out to expand upon my earlier engagement with the Richard Sylvan Papers whilst at graduate school [Phase 1] in early 2015. As I outlined in my first journal entry for Phase 1, this preliminary audit uncovered four (4) previously unpublished papers as well as a further four (4) pre-publication circulated drafts of Sylvan’s nuclear thought.
Building on this earlier work, my ambitions for the 2020 Fryer Library Fellowship were to audit the following additional boxes and associated folders to uncover additional nuclear material in Sylvan's oeuvre:
- Environmental Ethics—Boxes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.
- Green Projects in Progress—Boxes 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18.
- More Green—Boxes 19, 20, 21, 22, 23.
- Files on Articles—Boxes 24, 25, 26, 27.
- Nuclear—Box 59
- Ethics and Theoretical Ethics—Boxes 60, 61.
- Unlisted and Untitled Boxes—Boxes 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77.
- Old Papers—Box 83.
- Old Papers: Letters, Slog 1 Proofs, Misc XC’s, Offprints, Old Forest papers—Boxes 86, 87, 88.
- Older Green, GAIA, Greenhouse—Box 89.
- Philosophy of Science—Box 92.
- Phil Rehabilitation—Box 93.
- Papers, Extracts, Articles and Chapters by Richard Sylvan—Boxes 95, 96, 97.
- Richard’s Professional Work – refereeing, examining, reports etc—Box 98.
- Culture, Environment, Politics, Economics—Boxes 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 [War and Peace].
- References/Correspondence—Box 107 [War and Peace]
- Correspondence and Personal Papers—Box 111.
- Correspondence and Papers—Boxes 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119.
- Anarchy—Boxes 137, 138, 139 [File Cabinet 1, Draw 2]
However, what transpired was more nuanced and unpredictable--with nuclear materials appearing in boxes and folders that I was not expecting, and many boxes and folders that I had earmarked being of little to no relevance. To demonstrate this, I have made a dynamic record of my notes of this archival research process publicly-available, such that the data changes asynchronously over time as new information becomes available.
As a result, the below database identifies not only items that have been made available on the Antipodean Antinuclearism web archive (marked in green), but many more items that were not. It is crucial to note that these withheld items (marked in red) may well themselves be of greater interest but which were nevertheless not digitised for distribution online on either copyright (i.e. Sylvan and/or his collaborator/s do/es not clearly and expressly hold copyright that may be granted) or personal grounds (i.e. they address elements of Sylvan or his relations personal lives).
To ensure the greatest possible accessibility, the above table may be opened in a new full-screen window.